| About YGS | YGS News | Site Map |
Paul Sanborn (UNBC) describes the soil exposed on an unglaciated upland in the Klondike, central Yukon. Photo by Jeff Bond
The goal of soil research at the Yukon Geological Survey is to provide base line soil development information across all landscapes. Applications of this information include biophysical studies and soil geochemistry for mineral exploration. Yukon is also home to paleosols that are developed on pre-late Wisconsin glacial deposits. These paleosols provide a window into past climates.
Soil geochemistry and sampling:
- Bond, J.D. and Sanborn, P.T., 2006. Morphology and geochemistry of soils formed on colluviated weathered bedrock: Case studies from unglaciated upland slopes in west-central Yukon. Yukon Geological Survey, Open File 2006-19.
- Bond, J.D., 2007. A guide to soil sampling in Yukon. Yukon Geological Survey, Brochure, 2007-2
- McKillop, R., Turner, D., Johnston, K., and Bond, J., 2013. Property-scale classification of surficial geology for soil geochemical sampling in the unglaciated Klondike Plateau, west-central Yukon. Yukon Geological Survey, Open File 2013-15, 85 p. including appendices.
- Dampier, L., Sanborn, P., Smith, S., Bond, J., Clague, J.J., 2011. Genesis of upland soils, Lewes Plateau, central Yukon. Part 1: soils formed on Pleistocene glacial deposits. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 91:(4) 563-578.
- Dampier, L., Sanborn, P., Smith, S., Bond, J., Clague, J.J., 2011. Genesis of upland soils, Lewes Plateau, central Yukon. Part 2: Soils formed in weathered granitic bedrock. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 91:(4) 579-594.
- Dampier, L., Sanborn, P., Bond, J., Clague, J.J. and Smith, S., 2009. Soil genesis in relation to glacial history in central Yukon. In: Yukon Exploration and Geology 2008, Weston, L.H., Blackburn, L.R., and Lewis, L.L. (eds.), Yukon Geological Survey, p. 113-124.
- Sanborn, P., 2010. Soil reconnaissance of the Fort Selkirk volcanic field, Yukon (115I/13 and 14). In: Yukon Exploration and Geology 2009, MacFarlane, K.E., Weston, L.H. and Blackburn, L.R. (eds.), Yukon Geological Survey, p. 293-304.
- Smith, C.A.S., Sanborn, P.T., Bond, J.D. and Frank, G. 2009. Genesis of Turbic Cryosols on north-facing slopes in a dissected, unglaciated landscape, west-central Yukon Territory. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 89: 611-622.
- Sanborn, P.T., Smith, C.A.S., Froese, D.G., Zazula, G.D. and Westgate, J.A., 2006. Full-glacial paleosols in perennially frozen loess sequences, Klondike Goldfields, Yukon Territory, Canada. Quaternary Research 66(1): 147-157.